Friday, February 13, 2009

This week we had parent teacher conferences with Bekah and Jake's teachers! I still can't believe there are around 80 days left in the school year! Where has the time gone? Before I know it our babies will be in 8, 5, 3, and 1st grade! WOW, makes me feel old! Very grateful I am young enough to keep up with them.

In both conferences their teachers continually said how much of a servant and compassionate both kids are. Bekah is always looking for ways to help out her friends and teacher, Jake is hanging out around the bench during recess waiting for his friends to fulfill their "time" for making a decision that only a kindergarten boy would make! On a side note, last week it was beautiful outside and the kids went out with daycare while I finished up some work in my office, while they were getting ready Jake handed me his gloves and said he didn't want to wear them. Didn't think to much of it until they started dripping on me. By the time I realized I could ring them out and have a puddle of water at my feet, the kids were out side and I didn't have the time to ask Jake what happened. Off to Jake's classroom I went and asked about the gloves. Mrs. Wiseman told me 3 of the kindergarten boys were out playing in the grassy area and doing great, she looked away for 2 seconds and sees all of them rolling around in the grass, Jake then gets up and is "shiny" from head to toe. Yes, he was soaking wet! Learned the hard way that snow gear is NOT totally water proof, and asked me to go out and find him water proof gear. Guess they are starting swimming lessons a little early this year!

Anyway with the teachers bringing up the words servant and compassionate, it lead me to do some thinking about the ways we are teaching our children those character traits. Since we are less than perfect with those we love the most, we need to give them the home to learn how to be themselves. And when the time comes they will have the roots we have worked so hard to nourish to fulfill God's plan for their lives.

No comments: